Avoid the fall rush, have your chimney inspection and cleaning done in the summertime! While the CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified chimney technicians from Sir Vent Chimney and Venting Services provide the same professional level of expertise throughout the year, during the summer there is much more flexibility in appointment times and the weather factor is not as much a consideration as it is during other times of the year.
By now you know the importance of having your chimney and venting inspected and cleaned on an annual basis. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standard 211 reiterates, “Chimneys, fireplaces, and vents shall be inspected at least once a year for soundness, freedom from deposits, and correct clearances. Cleaning, maintenance, and repairs shall be done if necessary.”
Ashley Eldridge, Director of Education for the Chimney Safety Institute of America explains, “By scheduling (in summertime), you will have time to complete any necessary repairs before the start of the heating season. Not to mention the peace of mind you will have knowing that your fireplace or wood stove is ready to go for those dark days of winter.”
Besides more appointment time availability, summertime is the ideal time to have your chimney work done for several other reasons. Consider:
- In the summertime, technicians don’t have to deal with ice and snow on your roof which means they have better traction and the visual inspection of your chimney and related structures will not be obstructed. Technicians can do a more thorough inspection of the chimney, masonry, flashing, chimney cap, and shingles when the roof is clear.
- If any repairs are necessary, professional products work best when the weather conditions do not include severe cold spells.
- The unencumbered view also allows the technicians to identify any cracks or missing masonry or openings and make any necessary repairs before the cold or rainy weather hits. You can be proactive and avoid any potential water damage.
- Also, unintentional openings, improper fitting caps, and other unsealed points of entry serve as a “Vacancy” sign and attract critters you don’t want living in your chimney, fireplace, or walls. Summertime is an ideal time to locate these unwanted points of entry and make the needed repairs to eliminate your property turning into a “critter hotel” this fall and winter.
- If there is a problem caused by nesting animals or their debris, built-up creosote, mold or moisture, or any airflow or stack effect issues, they will be more pronounced during the summertime. Putrid odors tend to develop in chimneys and fireplaces in the summertime when it is hot and humid.
Technicians can track and correct the problems causing these odors before it's time to use your fireplace and chimney.
Remember the reason you have your fireplace, chimney, and venting serviced once a year is to identify and correct any health and fire hazards that may be present. When you call SirVent Chimney and Venting Service for your annual inspection this summer when the weather turns colder and you are ready to use your fireplace you will have the peace of mind and confidence to relax and enjoy all the benefits of a cozy fire knowing that it is safe to use.